Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas decorations (part 2)

I wanted to title this post "The kindness of strangers", but I've spent so much time with the folks at the Nikolai Binev Theatre that they are hardly strangers anymore... :)

So, yesterday was my day off and I spent most of it walking around Sofia, taking pictures and visiting Aleksander Nevsky cathedral (which will be it's own post). Landing at the theatre for dinner before seeing a show there, one of the actors in the company, Vezhen, stops by my table and hands me a small white box and places a orange glittery star tree topper on the table next to it.  He jokes that it's a Communist tree topper... :)
"I'm sorry I didn't have time to wrap them all in padding...", Vezhen says and then trails off.  I'm so touched I'm barely even listening to him.  I open the box and he takes out about a half dozen ornaments to complement the ones Tania has already put on my tree: a Santa head, a theatrical mask, a Christmas tree, a German mushroom ornament, a handpainted ball with snowmen on it, a ceramic Bulgarian jug, and a gold "Mon premier Noel" ornament for a baby which he has personalized, amending the ending with "a Sofia", thereby turning the ornament into one celebrating my first Christmas in Sofia.  Could it get anymore adorable?

I thank him and hug him, heading off to see the production of Frida at the theatre... Just one more example that Theatre creates family, no matter where and in what language.

 My personalized ornament

 The new finished tree

 Closeups of the new ornaments

If you look real close at the lower right hand corner of the picture, you can see the Bulgarian jug striped in blue...

No comments:

Post a Comment